DUI Q&A Series - How Do I Get an Ignition Interlock License?


Getting an ignition interlock license in three easy steps. The Ignition Interlock Device is something that must be installed in your car first. SR-22 High-Risk Insurance is something else to get for yourself. Last, an application should get sent to the department of licensing. This is a monthly fee and that cost depends on a few hot ticket items.


If your license has been suspended as the result of a DUI arrest or conviction, you are probably eligible for a temporary license. This license is called an ignition interlock license. It is actually fairly easy to get.

In order to get on you need to follow three simple steps:

  1. Obtain your ignition interlock device. You can get this from any state-certified agency.
  2. Obtain your SR-22 insurance certificate. You can get this from your insurance company or any insurance company. It doesn't replace your existing auto insurance.
  3. Fill out an application on license Xpress online. You should be able to get an answer within days and even print out your license through this account.

This temporary license is not limited in terms of locations you drive or the times that you drive. It's designed to allow you to do what you need to do on a daily basis.

You should be aware that every part of this temporary license does have a monthly fee. In order to try to minimize the cost to you and maximize the benefit to you, you should talk to your lawyer, your insurance company, and any other relevant vendors that way you can get the best rates for your ignition interlock license.

Related Posts
  • February 2021 - Ask a Hero Read More
  • How Do I Find the Right DUI Lawyer? Read More
  • DUI Q&A Series - Can I Get My Washington State DUI Removed From My Record? Read More